When I insert my external hard drive my computer freezes. By freezes I mean :
- I can’t open the hard drive, when I try to windows explorer freezes and it forces me to end process, when I do that whole laptop goes into a freeze mode till I remove the hard drive.
- I can’t create a new folder on the desktop for example (idiot example but it explains the issue), when I do nothing happens, if I remove the hard drive the folder gets created, as if everything I do after plugging the USB cord of my HDD goes on hold.
- When I open the diskmgmt and then plugging my HDD and refresh it, it becomes not responding till I remove the HDD.
- All tools that try to read the HDD (in order to scan it, get from it information… etc) freeze and stop working till I unplug the HDD
Any idea what’s wrong with my poor HDD? How to troubleshoot it?
The first thing I would do is try the external HDD in another port to see if that helps; if unsuccessful, try the following:
- Run the following, where
E:is the external HDD volume label:
ChkDsk E: /f /r
- Try uninstalling the external HDD and USB mass storage device from Device Manager
- External HDD is listed under Disk Drives and USB mass storage device under Universal Serial Bus Controllers
- To see these items listed in Device Manager when the external HDD is disconnected:
Device Manager > View > Show Hidden Devices
- Restart the computer, then reconnect the external HDD